Whether you have worn dentures for years or they are new to you, knowing the proper way to care for them is critical. This is why we have put together this fun and insightful test so that you can see just how much you know.
After reading each of the following statements below, determine whether you think the statement is true or false. See below for the answers.
- Boiling your dentures at least once a week is an excellent way to sterilize them.
- With a proper fit, it is perfectly acceptable to wear your dentures continuously (24 hours per day).
- The bacterial biofilm that accumulates under a denture causes inflammation referred to as denture stomatitis.
- You should store your dentures immersed in water after cleaning or when not in your mouth.
- Once you have dentures (and no longer have any teeth), you really only need to schedule a dental appointment if you have a problem with your dentures or damage them.
- To best clean a denture, you should use a slightly abrasive cleanser and a firm toothbrush.
- The pressure from wearing dentures causes jawbone loss over time.
- The optimal method for cleansing your gums is to take a moistened washcloth and gently massage your gums two times each day.
- If you are careful, you can use denture cleaners while your false teeth are in your mouth.
- You should never use sodium hypochlorite bleach to clean your dentures.
1. False. You should never boil dentures.
2. False. You should not wear your dentures 24/7.
4. True, as this prevents your dentures from warping.
5. False. Even though you may not have teeth, you need to visit our office at least once a year for a thorough examination and to ensure your dentures are fitting and functioning properly.
6. False. You should never use a firm toothbrush OR any type of abrasive cleanser to clean your dentures.
7. True. This is unfortunate, but a fact nonetheless.
9. False, you should only use a denture cleanser outside of the mouth.
10. False. Sodium hypochlorite bleach is an excellent cleanser; however, you should never soak your dentures in this solution for periods that exceed 10 minutes.