Today our dental blog will discuss 9 ways to improve your oral health. This advice comes from a respected general dentist in Lansdale, so be sure to write some of these down.
1. If you have kids and your municipal water supply does not have the recommended level of fluoride, talk to your pediatrician about fluoride supplements. Fluoride strengthens both the teeth you can see and the ones still forming in your jaw.
2. Set a timer when you brush to make sure you spend at least two minutes thoroughly but gently cleaning all of the surfaces. Don’t forget your tongue – it provides a cozy home for bacteria to flourish.
3. Floss before you brush so that tooth bristles can better reach between teeth.
4. If you can’t brush after a meal, chew some sugarless gum with xylitol. Xylitol may curb the growth of bacteria on your teeth to reduce plaque formation.
5. Never just eat carbohydrates alone as snacks. Eat them with a meal. More saliva is generated while eating a meal and this can lessen the effects of carbs sitting on your teeth and breaking down into sugar.
6. An oral fluoride rinse used right before bedtime adds an extra measure of decay deterrence. Fluoride rinses (not traditional mouthwash) work best when swished over teeth for at least thirty seconds after flossing and brushing. After spitting it out, don’t rinse with water. Let the residue protect and strengthen your enamel all night long. This is especially important for kids – just make sure they don’t swallow it.
7. If you have diabetes, it is important to understand that unhealthy blood sugar levels can increase your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Your general dentist in Lansdale can help you maintain oral health in spite of your condition. If you have already experienced dental complications related to diabetes, schedule a consultation with Kevin Bass by calling 215-368-1424.
8. Beware of the dental risks of chronic dry mouth. Continual saliva production is essential for keeping the mouth lubricated, washing the food from tooth surfaces, and neutralizing the acid caused by plaque. Decongestants, blood pressure medications, antidepressants, and painkillers are some of the medications that can cause dry mouth. Kevin Bass can help you protect your teeth if you live with this unpleasant condition.
9. Wearing a mouth guard when you participate in sports can prevent tooth injury. Many Lansdale dentists offer custom mouth guards that fit perfectly.
Scheduling a Consultation with a General Dentist in Lansdale
If you are looking for an excellent dentist in the Lansdale area, we invite you to schedule an appointment with Kevin Bass DMD Cosmetic and Family Dentistry. At our practice, we provide gentle, quality care for children and adults. Talk to us about preventative, restorative or cosmetic dentistry. We look forward to serving you.