Teeth may seem like little more than pieces of bone protruding from your gums, but they are much more than that. At Kevin Bass DMD Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Lansdale we share some interesting facts about teeth, and urge all our patients to take good care of their dental health.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as important as your teeth.
- Some prescription painkillers can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of kids between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated cavities.
- Heartburn can be bad for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as damaging for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. 1
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
We hope you have found this interesting, and maybe even learned something. At Kevin Bass DMD Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Lansdale, the dental health of each of our patients is a top priority. We offer general and family dentistry, and a range of cosmetic dentistry services. Schedule an appointment today.
Contact Kevin Bass DMD Cosmetic and Family Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):